Last week I was put on a plane for my very last business trip as a full-time employee. Yesterday, I started my career as a freelancer. In a couple of weeks, I'll be back in the air on my way to NYC and over time, you learn a thing or two about life in the air when your world involves clients. You learn how to live out of suitcases, make the most of your days and get through security in record time. Lately, I've been packing much lighter and only carrying the essentials. Here's a few tips that are long overdue:
1. Don't forget your earphones! It's always the last thing I think about when packing, which is why I now keep a pair in my suitcase. Eyes closed, a little Carole King and we're smooth sailing off the ground.
2. Pashminas are your best friend. On my last flight, I spent 53 minutes with water dripping on my head. It was condensation from the cool air. I was not pleased. Luckily, I kept myself warm and dry with my trusty Zara scarf.
3. Pouches are a traveler's best friend. Pouches for toiletries. Pouches to keep your receipts organized. Pouches to fake as clutches for a nightcap at the hotel bar. I never go anywhere without my metallic Mae pouch from Annie Bukhman.
4. And speaking of Annie Bukhman, this card holder is ESSENTIAL. Pack your work AMEX, license and a few business cards and you're ready to go.
5. Despite my chamomile tea and deep breaths, I still get a bit of travel anxiety every now and then. To combat, I rely on essential oils. My 'no worries' roller from Soul Sunday combines bergamot, lemon, clary-sage and melissa leaf to keep me sane.
6. Podcasts are my favorite thing ever about traveling! No seriously, I love a good podcast. My obsession is Invisibila. It's all about the invisible forces that control human behavior - ideas, believes, assumptions and emotions. It's because of this podcast that I learned that I'm pretty sure I have OCD. My favorite episodes include the one about Thoughts, Categories and Entanglement. If you don't know what entanglement is, I highly suggest you google it.
7. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Drink plenty of water before, during and after a trip to the airport. I also carry a face mist to spray when I land to re-hydrate my skin and give me a little boost. I'm currently testing out one from Grown Alchemist with Hyaluronic acid. It's also packed with botanicals.
8. I'm not much of a reader on the plane. Instead, I log into my gogoair account and organize my inbox. But I do like to bring a book to read before bed. In my old age, there is nothing I love more than a California King, room service and a good book. I picked up The Girls by Emma Cline from a used book store and so far, so good. I'll report back when I finish.
9. A hair tie! Pull your hair back on the plane, pull you hair back to wash your face at night, pull your hair back so you don't get your hair in the food at a fancy restaurant. A hair tie.
10. Last but not least, POINTS! Become a SPG member, a Delta Skymiles Member, a Southwest something or other (Southwest is weird). If you don't receive a work AMEX, open a credit card like a Marriott Rewards Credit Card and be prompt about those expense reports! If you're gonna get thrown on a plane every other week, you might as well reap the benefits.
Oh! Make use of wakeup calls too. Two different calls, 15 minutes apart. Nothing is worse than being the last one downstairs.
Ugh - one more thing - Boingo SUCKS! Don't even bother.