If you follow me on Instagram, you know I have a new happy place and it's called David's Tea. I've always been a tea lover, but recently I've been on a coffee kick thanks to my sister-in-law (in case you forgot, her and her boyfriend have a very charming cafe in Long Beach.) But ever since I stepped foot in David's Tea, my love of this aromatic beverage was restored.
I'm now a Frequent Steeper and I love everything about that phrase. My husband and I have spent way too much money on tea gadgets and I'm so close to buying what they call the "Perfect Spoon" - a utensil that helps measure the loose-leaf tea correctly to ensure a perfect brew every time. My addiction isn't quite that bad, therefore I refuse to spend $5.50 on a spoon, but you never know what tomorrow will bring.
Because I love this place so much, I've picked out my five favorite teas to get you through the week. Sip away!
- Morning Must-Have - Time to wake up! Skip the cup of coffee and instead, brew a nice up of green tea. The refreshing drink has slightly less caffeine, but it’s packed with health benefits and include catechins - powerful antioxidants and potent disease fighters. My go-to is Organic Detox. This blends also as Ginkgo, which works as a substitute for caffeine because it increases blood flow to the brain and the extremities. This increased flow of blood can resemble the affects of exercise on the body, causing you to feel more awake and energized.
- Digestive Difficulties - The stomach is not on track. Opt for a tea with ginger and licorice like Organic Sweet Ginger Heat. Ginger stimulates the digestive process by helping the body to release the proper enzymes to break down food so nutrients can be easily absorbed while the licorice root’s flavonoids can help with discomfort and inflammation of the digestive system.
- Sick City - You want to crawl in a hole and sleep forever. At the first sign of a cold, grab Cold Zing. Blended with traditional remedies, this comforting tea will make you feel better in no time. Ingredients include echinacea, used widely to treat colds, flu, bronchitis, and all types of infections because of it’s ability to stimulate the body’s natural immune function, and lemongrass, which acts as an anti-bacterial, anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory, and anti-parasitic agent.
- Stress Less - Work is ridic and you need to relax. Try Dragon Pearls, another green tea consisting of hand-rolled jasmine pearls from the Zhejiang Province of China. Known for it’s power to eliminate the stress and depression, Jasmine, like lavender, has sedative properties and can also help to regulate blood circulation and arterial tension. This tea also has a beautiful, calming scent.
- Bedtime Bevvy - You forgot what sleep is like. Made with the highest grade chamomile in the world, Organic Egyptian Chamomile is your savior. This caffeine-free brew yields a rich, deep-yellow cup and will help you get the shut-eye you oh so need. The herb’s natural properties promote restfulness and drowsiness and is known to assist digestive disorders by settling the stomach and calming the nerves.